History of IWEISS
IWEISS Standing Tall on its Roots
By Nicole Tocco
But it all started in an unassuming little building in New York City more than 100 years ago.
In 1899, Isadore Weiss started a small upholstery shop in mid-town Manhattan, in the heart of what would soon become the most famous theater district in the world. IWEISS quickly built a reputation for high-quality work and efficiency. So, it came as no surprise that prop men from nearby theaters often called on IWEISS for furniture and drapery for their shows.
While Mac took the lead on the textile side of the business, Henry set his sights on introducing schools, hotels, and theaters up and down the east coast to not only custom drapery, but also manual rigging installations and stage machinery. By the 1950s, IWEISS had acquired the rigging and manufacturing equipment of Bruckner-Mitchell. The company continued to build on that side of the business and hasn’t looked back since.
Then, in 1994, Rosenberg hired Jennifer Tankleff as the office manager and by 1997 she took over the management role of IWEISS drapery shop. During her time in that role, Jennifer worked with numerous designers to produce drapery for more than 300 Broadway shows, as well as for hundreds of performing arts centers and educational facilities across the U.S. and abroad. Jennifer went on to take full ownership of IWEISS in 2017.
We look forward to continuing to evolve and grow in our ability to provide our customers with superior quality. And, as we look toward our future, we can’t help but remember where it all started—in that little upholstery shop in mid-town Manhattan.